Whether traveling by pirate ship or mini-van, Panama City Beach invites everyone to take part in the 2014 Pirates of the High Seas Fest from Friday, Oct. 10 through Sunday, Oct. 12. The fourth annual festival includes a fireworks show, pirate parades, music, magic, scavenger hunt, and the "Run for the Treasure" 5k, 10k and Fun Run. The celebration culminates with 8,000 inflatable beach balls dropping onto Pier Park Drive. This year's invasion will take place at the Grand Lagoon, Pier Park and the City Pier of beautiful Panama City Beach. With the exception of the "Run for the Treasure" 5k, 10k and Fun Run, all events are free and open to the public, including musical performances by national touring acts Cassio Monroe, Megan & Liz and Alex Angelo.
"Columbus Day weekend features our fantastic fall weather, and the Pirates of the High Seas Fest is just loads of fun for families," shares Dan Rowe, president and CEO of Visit Panama City Beach. "Celebrating our fourth year, it just keeps getting bigger and better, and I encourage everyone to come visit Panama City Beach and embrace their inner pirate spirit."
Pirates of the High Seas Fest activities include:
Friday, Oct. 10, 2014
• Early activities kick off at the Grand Lagoon at 2:00 p.m., with pirate themed activities, an early evening pirate invasion, and fireworks to round out the evening.
• Entertainment on Towne Center Stage (5:00p.m. - 8:00p.m. at Pier Park)
Captain Davy's Magical Pirate Show featuring Angelica the Mermaid makes its Pirates of the High Seas Fest debut.
• Opening Ceremonies (6:00p.m. - 6:15p.m. at Pier Park)
The Pirate Fest kicks off with a welcome from the Mayor of Panama City Beach and a celebration of the sunset by conch sounding champion Mary Lou Smith.
• Entertainment and Second Line Parade (6:15p.m. - 8:15p.m. at Pier Park)
Live music on the Pier Park stage features Tony Vegas, and Heat & the Zydeco Gents. The Village Brass Band leads the Second Line Parade in a colorful Mardi Gras style celebration for families and friends.
• Fireworks Show (8:15p.m. - 8:25p.m. at the Grand Lagoon)
A fireworks show launched from a barge in the Grand Lagoon is sure to excite the entire family.
Saturday, Oct. 11, 2014
• Run for the Treasure (7:00a.m. - 11:00a.m.)
Landlubbers can stretch their legs at the pirate-themed 5k, 10k and Fun Run.
• Pirate Village (11:00a.m. - 10:00p.m. at Pier Park)
The full day of fun offers true pirates a chance to show their swagger with adult and child costume contests, a pirate dance performance, parades and live entertainment including Illusionist of the Year Noah Wells, plus music by Tom Mason & The Blue Buccaneers and Jacob Brocks & Brews Band on the Pier Park stage. Captain Davy's Magical Pirate Show featuring Angelica the Mermaid will perform throughout the day.
• Pirate Invasion (2:30 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. at Pier Park)
The Pirates of Dominique Youx defend Panama City Beach from an invasion of Pier Park.
• Fireworks (8:15p.m. - 8:25p.m. at City Pier)
All pirates are invited to return for a second night of breathtaking fireworks, this time launched over the beach, from the City Pier.
Sunday, Oct. 12, 2014
• Kids Parade and Costume Contest (11:30p.m. - 12:45p.m. at Pier Park)
Fun for buccaneers of all ages as they don their best pirate attire.
• Block Party (1:30p.m. - 4:30p.m. at Pier Park)
Live music features Cassio Monroe, Megan & Liz and Alex Angelo for a celebration of pirates everywhere.
• Beach Ball Drop (4:30p.m. at Pier Park)
More than 8,000 inflated beach balls will create a sea of excitement as they fall from the sky onto Pier Park Drive.
Exact times are subject to change. For more information on this year's festival and other special travel packages visit www.panamacitybeach.com.